Friday, November 4, 2016

Gut healing broth

Recently, a few people have been asking me how I make my broth. I thought that it would therefore be a great idea to make post about my broth recipe!

In recent times, broth has become very popular amongst the health community. Broth contains many health benefits, its most sought after benefit however is its ability to aid with digestion by healing and sealing the gut. It has also been proven to improve joint health and boost immunity. You can read more about the health benefits of bone broth here: https://draxe.com/the-healing-power-of-bone-broth-for-digestion-arthritis-and-cellulite/ 


TIP: I usually collect my left over vegetable scraps into a bag that I leave in the freezer, then when it is time to make my broth I just add all my leftovers to the pot!

GUT HEALING BROTH RECIPE

Ingredients:
(preferably organic)
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 Onions
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
-Fresh ginger root
-Fresh turmeric root
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
-organic chicken bones (or bones of your choice)****
-for a vegetarian option, add some fresh, local mushrooms instead of bones
-fresh herbs (I use lots of parsley and coriander) 
-any left over vegetable scraps or vegetables you have in the fridge 
-half a lemon 
(lemon is important when using leafy greens such as silverbeet or spinach in your broth as citric acid from lemons and other citrus fruits can help prevent the formation of calcium oxalate fluids found in)
- himalayan salt
-black pepper
-2 litres of purified water


**** BONE TIP: You can purchase organic free range chicken bones from your butcher at a very cheap price. I usually cook with a whole chicken carcass, chicken necks or wings. Alternatively you can also use lamb or beed bones, however I try to avoid red meat and prefer the taste of the chicken broth****  

Method:
1. Place a large stock pot on the stove and bring to a medium heat. Add coconut oil, garlic and onion (you can leave the garlic cloves whole & just cut the onions in half with skin on).
2. Grate or finely chop the ginger and turmeric, add to the coconut oil mix. Add the rest of your vegetables, herbs as well as the bones or mushrooms to the pot. 
3. Next, add the apple cider vinegar and enough purified water to fill the pot. Bring to the boil.
4. Bring the pot to a simmer and let the broth simmer with a lid on for a minimum of 24 hours. I usually cook my broth for two days.
5. Turn off the heat, and let the broth sit until it has cooled down enough for you to handle it.
6. Strain the broth into jars and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
7. Add the gut healing broth to your favourite soup, slow cooked dish or simply have it on its own :)



Fish Broth I have made in the past 


Broth & breakfast :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment